A reasonable cluster of books read this month, especially since one of them (Night Film) is really quite long and a couple of the others are longish, and especially since the Philcon weekend, my birthday and Thanksgiving between them disrupted life quite a lot. Oh, and there was an abandonment as well. (In line with my general policy, the abandoned book isn’t listed here.)
I can’t decide whether the pick of the bunch was Night Film or Syndrome E – both were memorably good – while a couple of the others were splendid as well. All in all, then, a pretty satisfying month’s leisure reading.
As always, the links lead to my often hasty Goodreads notes.
- Syndrome E by Franck Thilliez
- The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë by Laura Joh Rowland
- Unexpected Night by Elizabeth Daly
- The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl
- The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin
- The Shadow Behind the Curtain by Velda Johnston
- Leave It to Me by Bharati Mukherjee
- In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff